Best Glaucoma Specialist in Bangalore
Glaucoma Treatment in Bangalore
Glaucoma is a group of eye conditions that damage the Optic Nerve, the health of which is vital for good vision. In glaucoma there is a progressive and irreversible damage to the optic nerve which is the nerve of the eye responsible for vision and which, if untreated, can lead to blindness. This damage is often caused by an abnormally high pressure in your eye.
Glaucoma is one of the leading causes of blindness for people over the age of 60. It can occur at any age but is more common in older adults.
We need a certain amount of pressure in the eye to maintain its shape. There is a balance between the production and drainage of fluid which maintains the shape. Any increase in fluid production or an obstruction of the drainage causes a raise in eye pressure.
In the majority of cases vision loss occurs painlessly and so gradually that most people do not realize they have a problem until substantial damage has occurred. Peripheral vision (at the edges) is usually lost first, especially the field of vision near your nose. As larger areas of your peripheral vision fade, you may develop “Tunnel Vision”, vision that has narrowed so you see only what is directly in front of you, like looking through a railroad tunnel.
Glaucoma is fast emerging as a major cause of blindness in India.
It is necessary that the following categories of patients undergo a basic screening test for glaucoma since in the majority of cases there are no symptoms at all.
1. All individuals above the age of 40 years
2. Diabetic patients
3. Anyone who has a family history of glaucoma, in particular siblings and children above the age of 35 years of known glaucoma patients
4. High myopes, Patients who have high minus power glasses
5. Anyone with eye complaints like :
- a. Headaches, with no other cause detected
- b. Blurred vision not corrected with glasses
- c. Recurrent red and painful eyes
- d. Seeing coloured halos around lights
6. Anyone who has used Steroid tablets or Inhalers for a long duration
Best Glaucoma Specialist in Bangalore
We, at Zamindar’s Microsurgical Centre, have a dedicated Glaucoma clinic where screening, early detection, treatment and systematic follow up of Glaucoma patients is done.
All glaucoma patients undergo a detailed eye examination with a visual field analysis.
Diagnostic Tools are available at our Centre
The below instruments help us to detect the disease and progression early which aids us in better management of the patient:
- Intraocular pressure measurement (Applanation Tonometer, Perkins Tonometer, Non Contact Tonometer)
- Gonioscopy to examine the angle of the eye
- Humphrey field Analyser (HFA) which is the gold standard for visual field analysis
- Corneal Pachymetry to measure the thickness of the cornea
- Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) of the Optic Nerve Head
- Zeiss fundus photography unit (For stereoscopic disc photography)
- ND YAG Laser
Our Treatment Protocol
a. Once a patient is diagnosed with glaucoma, our doctors will discuss the various treatment options
b. In most cases the first line of treatment is eye drops to reduce the eye pressure
c. Frequent follow up visits are required usually every 3-6 months
d. One important point to note here is that treatment is life-long. The Glaucoma specialist will adjust the medication according to the clinical findings at each follow up visit. Since in a majority of patients there are absolutely no symptoms, the importance of lifelong treatment has to be stressed.
e. In patients who are diagnosed with angle closure Glaucoma or Narrow angles which means the space between your iris (the coloured part) and cornea (the clear outer layer) is too small, a Laser Peripheral Iridotomy
f. (LPI) may be advised. In a LPI a laser beams to create a tiny hole in the iris. The extra fluid can drain and relieve pressure.
g. In advanced Glaucoma cases, not responding to drops, they might be advised to undergo a surgery called Trabeculectomy. Trabeculectomy is a type of glaucoma surgery performed on the eye that creates a new pathway for fluid inside the eye to be drained. This is an outpatient procedure performed in the operating room.
Below are images of the field of vision of a Normal patient and one with Glaucoma
As you can see there is a Tunnel field vision in Advanced Glaucoma
Know More About Glaucoma From Experts
Why is Glaucoma called silent thief of vision – Dr Samina F Zamindar
To Get The Best Eye Treatment At The
Top Eye Hospital In Bangalore
Call for an appointment!